[iBook] ibook/airport reception issue

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Fri Sep 24 17:17:11 PDT 2004

Hi all -

I have a recently-acquired 800mhz icebook running Panther with an
airport extreme card installed, and I get unbelieveably bad reception.

At 3 feet away from my basestation, I get 25-35 percent signal strength
max (this per Macstumbler, confirmed with another utility as well). When
I move a few feet further away or just around the corner into the
hallway, reception diminishes almost to nothing.

It has nothing to do with the base station. When I visit one of the many
locations I used to frequent (coffeeshops, etc.) with my older 600mhz
ibook, where reception was so good I could sit out in the parking lot
and surf, I now get little or no signal at all unless I stand no more
than 10 or 12 feet away from the base station, and even then only the
mediocre signal strength mentioned above.

So my 'wireless' access is effectively useless unless I stay home and
sit at my desk to work.

I've checked the airport extreme card to see that it's properly
installed (and the right-angle connector is definitely in there right),
so what more can I do? Nothing is changed vis-a-vis sleep, waking from
sleep, rebooting, etc. It's bad all the time. Any suggestions?

--

/  dave  /