[iBook] replacing an optical drive on G4 iBook?

Andy McMullin Andy.McMullin at mac.com
Mon Apr 18 00:12:42 PDT 2005

Denny said:

> I have a 14" G4 ibook with a dead optical drive (slot loader
> cd/cdr/dvd).
>
> I have found sources for new drives and that are fairly
> inexpensive....as in under $100.
>
> Has anyone on list had experience replacing the drive?  It
> looks like its pretty labor/time intensive but doable.
>
> Hoping to hear from someone with some actual hands-on
> experience so I can get encouragement, warnings, tips etc.

I replaced the optical drive on my iBook, and at the time I changed from CD
only to DVD/CD too. I didn't find it either complex nor time intensive: but
I am used to taking things apart then putting them back together again!

There are some great resources on the web which can help you work out what
to do. To decide which model of CD/DVD have a look at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/opti_upgrades.html. For the steps to
take a machine apart, try http://uk.geocities.com/ibookupgrade/.

The only other hint I'd give is to keep a note of every screw and where it
came from -- because they all look very similar but won't fit back in the
wrong holes!

I hope this helps.

Regards
Andy, G8TQH
http://www.rickham.net/

As an aside, some time ago Alex Santos posted his list of locations of hacks
and the rest for the iBook. If you've not seen it, it's really handy and
here it is:

-------------------

Enjoy, take-apart, hacks, over-clocking, hinge problems, installing Hard
Drives and Optical drives etc. etc.

http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/8165274427338252/
http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/
http://www.pbzone.com/