[iBook] Decision making help requested

Richard J Laue rjlaue at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 18:21:23 PDT 2005

Jean-Paul said:

>[snip]
>The heaviest usage my new system will experience is when I'm making
>home movies, and Garageband composition.
[remainder snipped]

Hi, Jean-Paul -

You just answered your own question.  BOTH of the things you want to
do -- video editing and music editing -- will benefit TREMENDOUSLY
from the larger, wider screen of the powerbook.

And, truthfully, the larger screen is really the only functional
difference between the powerbook and the ibook.  All the other specs
are comparable.

I do some audio editing, and I'm just getting into video editing.  I
also own an iBook -- which I dearly love! -- so I understand its
limitations.

Here's the straight skinny:  you CAN do audio and video editing on
the iBook -- I do it all the time -- but it's not pleasant in the
long run.  I've got a G4 iMac with a 17" screen available where I
work, and more and more I find myself waiting until I can get on that
machine, rather than using the iBook.  Everything's easier to see,
and there's much less scrolling around, plus there's room for
multiple windows.

About the warranty issue:  in a weird sort of way, you ARE getting a
"warranty" on the used powerbook, by virtue of your friend being
willing to take payments.  If the powerbook craps out after two
months, you won't be out the full purchase price, will you?  So HE'S
taking as much of a chance as YOU are.

You asked for opinions.  In your situation (editing needs; lack of
ready cash; not needing ultimate portability) I'd jump on that
powerbook in a heartbeat!

Cheers -
RJLaue