[iBook] clamshell query/iBook noob intro

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Fri Aug 19 19:23:33 PDT 2005

> If this is indeed a video out port, what type of connector/cord
> would be required to connect either another monitor or my TV
> to it??

There was a special cable that was included with the iBooks of this
vintage -- one end (the end that plugs into the iBoook) looks like a
standard headphone or earphone jack, and at the other end were three
cables with standard RCA connectors. You could connect the cable to a
TV or VCR (or perhaps even another monitor, if it had RCA jacks).

As to where you'd find one these days, that's difficult to say.

> I'be found a small hole, and am guessing it is for inserting
> a unbent paperclip into, but I've no idea as to how far in
> or how long to keep a pin inserted, nor what this reset
> button(?hole) does, would you kindly explain the procedure,
> and any things that I should expect?

I think you insert the paper clip and keep the button pressed for
five seconds or so, and this (I think) resets the PRAM, which may or
may not help. (Removing the battery should do the same on the iBook.)

If you have access to another Firewire-equipped Mac, you might try
restarting the iBook and holding down the "T" key to start it in
Firewire Disk Mode, and mount it as a Firewire disk on the other Mac.
If you can do this, I think you can be reasonably sure that the logic
board is okay, and it's probably just the screen that needs to be
replaced.

Hope this helps!

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>