[iBook] memory problems with G4 ibook

Dennis Reeder dreeder2 at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 23 07:22:48 PDT 2005

14" G4 1ghz ibook.  This ibook came with 128mb soldered on the board
and one open slot. Installed a 1 gig memory stick in the open
available slot.  Memory came from Omni Technologies.  Purchased about
3 months ago.  Was running Panther when the new memory was
installed.  Worked perfectly.   Installed Tiger.  Has continued to
work perfectly.

ibook is now running 10.4.2 with all of the current available
updates.  Within the last couple of days it seems to be running
slowly - seeing the spinning beach ball way too often.  Opened About
This Mac and was surprised to see that I only had 640 mb of ram.  Hmm.
Pulled ram out and reinstalled it.  Started up machine and About This
Mac says 1.128 Gig of ram.  Ibook runs for about 4 minutes and then
freezes.  Froze while running Firefox.  Only other app open was
Mail.   So I restart.   Open About This Mac and I am back down to 640
mb of ram.

What gives?

Warranty has expired (it had expired when I bought it "new" from
MicroCenter) and there is no AppleCare.  Long story, not worth
retelling.