[iBook] connecting to hotel wireless network

Samantha Cornell samantha at netresults.biz
Sun Aug 28 08:06:22 PDT 2005

Seems I'm full of computer problems this weekend.

My father has called, from the road, and is having problems
connecting to wireless networks at hotels.  He is running 10.2 on a
G4 iBook with an airport card.  They regularly use the airport card
at home, so I doubt that is the problem.

He is able to select the network in the airport menu, and it shows a
strong signal, but Safari is unable to resolve any URLs.  I did have
him change his location to "automatic" in his network preferences (it
had been set to Comcast), but it did not help.

I'm stuck here, and he's frustrated.  I know that Comcast configured
the iBook for their network, and I'm wondering if they would have set
it up in a way that somehow makes this difficult.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers.  They've had alot of
problems with this Ibook lately, and are threatening to go back to
Dell (ugh...)  They have had to send it in twice in the past month
for logic board replacements, and the second time Apple forgot to put
the batter back in, and then took two weeks to ship the battery.  I
would love to help them get online on the road with this, I want them
to have a good experience.

Thanks!

Samantha