[iBook] Rubber Piece ripped out of CD/DVD drive g4 ibook - now not working

Howard Pettigrew howard.pettigrew at xtra.co.nz
Tue Dec 27 16:59:52 PST 2005

Gordon, Your experience is similar to two different ones that I have
encountered. A teacher one of the schools I work in put in a disk
from a friend that was supposed to have photo images on it. It didn't
mount on the desktop so couldn't be ejected in the usual manner. They
tried holding down the mouse button on start up but still nothing. I
used Disk Utility to show it / eject it. Turned out it had been
formatted in some way that it just showed as a PC format with
autoexec file - this showed on my iBook with Tiger - unsure why it
didn't show on the teacher's. The second point is that with my own
iBook - same as yours, I struck the same problem - 1 1/2" piece of
black thin foam came out. After that, I could not put in a CD. I put
up with this for ages, using an external CD rom drive when I needed a
CD drive. I looked at taking the laptop to pieces to see if I could
fix it but there didn't seem to be an easy solution.
Now  I would not recommend other circumstances doing what I did next!
When away on holiday in a hired camper which  had a CD player in it,
and I was having trouble getting power for my iPod, I got desperate
one night. I made a hook out of a paper clip, and keeping it very
straight on so to avoid the mechanism, I had a very gentle  "fish'
and managed to pull out the rest of the foam. I think it is actually
a seal as my drive now works perfectly again and I have had no
further problems.
Like I said, I wouldn't recommend this method, I think I just got
lucky. My iBook is under 3 year warranty to our Ministry of Ed so I
was prepared to take the risk
I now expect to get shot down by everyone on the list for posting
this, but it worked for me!!!
Cheers