[iBook] The great Windows - Mac migration

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Jan 13 05:35:49 PST 2005

On 1/12/05 11:08 PM, "Pat D.Stephens" <patdart at cox-internet.com> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2005, at 5:30 PM, david wrote:
>
>> 2) .Mac account. Many don't realize you can log on with a Windows
>> machine as
>> well as the Mac.
> Can you give more detail on this?  I need to do the same thing, but
> don't know how...and mine's Mac to Mac...

If you don't have a .Mac account go to http://www.mac.com right now and sign
up for a trial account. If you have a Windows computer go to the downloads
section of .Mac after you have your account and download the Windows .Mac
utility which makes logging onto your iDisk painless. (Why does Windows do
iDisk faster than the Mac?? This irritates me. Anyway...) It is possible to
set up a WebDav connection without this utility but for nonWindows gurus
this utility is very nice.

Using Windows or Mac, mount your iDisk and copy your document files into it.
If you have lots of files and/or dialup this will be rather slow. Go to
Columbia, grow your coffee plants, pick the beans, roast and grind them,
make a cup of coffee and come back to the computer. Now that the files are
all copied onto your iDisk, log off. Mount your iDisk with your other
computer and reverse the process. (Well, don't reverse the coffee steps)

This is a great solution if you have broadband. I've noticed that a single
large file transfers much faster than lots of small files so I generally use
zip/stuffit when I have a large number of files to transfer to my iDisk.

David