[iBook] Second Hand Mac woes

Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail izabella.misiewiczsantos at neostrada.pl
Sat Jan 15 11:35:05 PST 2005

Hi Larry,

It looks like the information you gave me is my only option as
Michael's suggestion of using the option or alt key doesn't allow me to
choose which OS to start from.

I typed in nidump passwd but I did not see anything like
	larry:xyreRxk:501:20::0:0:Larry Kollar:/Users/larry:/bin/tcsh, so no
number greater then 500 appeared. I can only assume netinfo hadn't
launched by the time the prompt appeared. I am running OS 10.0.3, I
know this because while in OS9, I saw this, atleast I think it was
there but I am sure it is 10.0.3.

So, I guess I have no option at the moment.

Would turning the iBook into a target disk give me an installation
option? I don't have a FW cable and will buy one of course.

Thanks Larry, I appreciate your detailed explanation, I wish it had
worked.

For the record, I will type the result of the nidump passwd command, it
may help you understand what is going on.

known formats:
aliases
bootparams
ethers
exports
fstab
group
hosts
networks
passwd
printcap
protocols
resolv.conf
rps
services
mountimage
localhost# kmod_destroy: com.apple.driver.AppleCore99PE (id 16),
deallocating 8 pages starting at 0x49f4000 kmod_destroy:
com.apple.iokit.AppleMediaBay (id 27). deallocating 4 pages starting at
0x4c8b000

Alex