[iBook] iBook 500 slow

Kathi Anderson kathialexis at cox.net
Sat Jan 15 20:11:39 PST 2005

> Kind of makes one wonder why Apple tends to skimp on RAM. Why do they
> bog down the performance of their own machines? Nowadays you need a
> minimum of 512MB. Personally my emac has 384 and it get by VERY nicely,
> although then I can't compare with anything else but I am not
> complaining!
>
> Get more RAM, purchase a 512MB module, you won't regret it.
>
> When you want a faster computer, RAM is ALWAYS first, even before a
> processor upgrade
>

> On Jan 16, 2005, at 12:53 AM, Ron Reames wrote:
>
>> Definitely needs more RAM. I wouldn't even TRY to run OS X without at
>> least
>> 256M.
>>
>> Ron

snip

Well, after trying Apple and Small Dog and getting nowhere in ordering or
getting compatibility info for ram for my iBook, I googled and found an
outfit called "crucial.com" and ordered a 512mb SO DIMM, the max that my
Ibook 500 will take. Let you know how it goes.
By the way, I got this iBook from ebay without any disks. Before I buy the
OS software or any other software though, I thought I would purchase
Techtools for OSX. Techtools has bailed me out numerous times with OS 8 and
9. Thought it might be worth it since I have some very expensive apps on
this machine and since I can't re-install if something gets
corrupted...Anybody else have experience with Tech Tools for X?

Kathi