[iBook] iBook 500 slow

B G briang113 at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 19 22:45:30 PST 2005

If the RAM does not help, it is possible there is a bunch of misc
garbage on the disk.

I like Panther cache cleaner for the laptop,s because I don't have them
all the time so Panther doesn't get a chance to run its clean up
schedules like it can on my desktop machines.

I have never used techtools so perhaps someone else can weigh in on
that.

Personally I  like to  wipe the hard drives whenever I get a used
machine, probably not that crucial on Macs but just a good idea. You
never know what is buried on the drive.

If you are opposed to reformatting try a clean install of the OS that
may help.

As to saving the Apps ( ignoring any license issues, I won't go there,
to each his/her own on that issue)
I have never delved into the preferences/plist files in OS X, in the
older OS's it was easy to find and save the preferences you needed to
save the license keys and if I knew I am not sure I would pass the info
along anyway.
A little research on the web may reveal the answers.

BG

On Jan 19, 2005, at 9:46 PM, Kathi Anderson wrote:

> I recently got an iBook 500 with dual USB. It came with no disks and
> only
> 128mg of Ram. It has OS 10.3.4 on it. And it is really slow. So I
> ordered
> new Ram. I just got it from Crucial. 512mg. The HD is 20gig, so this
> should
> be OK.
> Also ordered a new Panther OS from Apple and Techtool Pro 4. Hopefully
> this
> will take care of my diagnosing any problems with the iBook.
> I haven't installed the Ram yet. I will let everyone know how much
> difference it makes. I am anxious to salvage the apps on the iBook. It
> has
> MS Office and Illustrator and Photoshop and Quark. I would like to use
> these
> apps, and without the disks, I am hoping that between the Panther disk
> and
> Techtools, I can keep them running.
> Any suggestions as to how I can make it any better?
>
> Kathi

Brian Getz
Personal Email