[iBook] Re: Used Software/Piracy?

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Fri Jan 21 07:00:51 PST 2005

What about the other side of software piracy??  Where Microsoft is now
making software that has to "phone home" to get activated and with out
that the $400 office suite stops working forcing all computers to have
internet or a modem and annoying those of us who like our privacy.
Where Symantec does not hand out free anti-virus updates anymore but
instead charges a yearly fee?  While greed comes to mind, these changes
came about due to those websites of tons of software (and cracked
serial numbers) and all the other software piracy... Business using
this software to make money and they only buy 1 license and copy it
thru out their building.

So now we are all software lemmings, forced to register our $100
software that does not have a price break for upgrades and needs
patches every other week, we get charged for technical support that is
outsourced to someone with a thick reading a script, get told that your
version is out of date and you have to upgrade to get support, and on
top of that the software company takes all the data they collected on
you and $ell it...  thanks software pirates...

Also, having CDs does not mean ownership either as there are legitimate
computer companies selling computers with out CDs and pre-bundled with
software and a note that "you should use your burner to make some
recovery CDs"...

> Imagine this.   In the future, it becomes possible to use
> nanotechnology to duplicate any thing you already have.
I just toss in a $100 bill and a stack of old news papers and let the
money tree grow.