[iBook] what do you do at night?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Sat Jul 9 17:28:34 PDT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 8:11 PM, Joel Esler wrote:

> I just got a dual 2.0 PowerMac, (running 10.4.1) and I thought it
> booted alot faster than my 900 mghz G3 iBook, but it' probably
> mostly due to processor speed don't you think?
>
> Or have we tested this?

Since I am responsible for a lab with a number of different kind of
Macs, and I own several myself, I can say with assurance that all
things being equal, boot times are mostly influenced by processor and
hard drive speeds. By all things being equal I mean all computers
running the same version of the OS, all running the same set of
startup applications, having the same fonts activated etc.

For those of you who own a Mac Mini and a firewire drive, an easy way
to see how the hard drive influences start up, time your boot from
the internal drive and then the external firewire drive. Wow!

david

Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then
if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a
little fun.  ~ Groucho Marx

david
davidwb at spymac.com