[iBook] Airport Problem

victoria victoria.duggan at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 2 10:42:20 PDT 2005

On 2 Jun 2005, at 13:27, Ondra Soukup wrote:
> No it is the Lucent/WaveLAN/Orinoco/etc.. Silver card...
> In fact the Airport card is WaveLAN with antenna part  cut off...so
> with some work, you can modify original WaveLAN card to fit into
> airport slot...not funny work, as I screwed up one of mine cards :/
> The replacement costs about $60...

I did this with an orinoco card in my ibook G3 600 when you have the
antenna connected it sits about 3 mils over the lip where the ram cover
goes, so when the keyboard is seated on-top there is a very slight
bulge in the center. If you did not cover the base of the keyboard with
a piece of electrical insulating tape where the antenna touches and
also the little shelf where it sit, after a period of time it kills the
antenna and the card, My first card lasted just under 1 year.  but the
cards are £16. so easy to replace if they die. i also have one in my G4
sawtooth to get it in you need a hack saw and a steady hand, but the
reception on these are alot better than with the airport cards.

vicki