[iBook] Re: iBook and external monitor

Glenn R. Fong fongg at t-bird.edu
Fri Jun 17 19:12:10 PDT 2005

On 6/8/05, Jim Soriano <jsoriano at mac.com> wrote:
> I have a iBook 14/1.2Ghz/Tiger that I'd like to use with an external
> monitor.
>
> I'm contemplating using the "ScreenSpanningDoctor" software on the
> iBook to drive a not-yet-purchased Dell 2005FPW display at its native
> resolution of 1680 x 1050.  Obviously I'll have to drive it through
> the VGA port since the iBook doesn't output DVI.
>
> Anybody on the list have experience with this or similar
> configurations?  Does it perform acceptably for my intended use of
> having lots of open browser/email/spreadsheet windows?

I understand that the deciding factor is the video chip in our laptops.  For
instance I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 32MB of memory in my 12" Al
PB.  Specs from the NVIDIA website say this chip can display up to 1600x1200
via DVI and up to 2048x1536 via VGA on external displays -- both in contrast
to the 1024x768 limit of the built-in PB display.  I've looked this up
because I thinking of upgrading the 15" 1024x768 display that I hook up my
PB to when working at the office.  But I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so
I can't personally attest to how well the NVDIA handles the higher
resolutions.