[iBook] trackpad freezes waking from sleep

Mary C.Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 20 09:17:20 PDT 2005

My daughter, far from home and newly graduated from college, has an
iBook 14 G4. Not long ago, she updated to 10.3.8, and reports that her
trackpad freezes when her computer goes to sleep now. Not when she
closes the lid, but when her computer is left inactive, and the Energy
Saver puts it to sleep. The display seems to wake from sleep, but the
cursor won't move using the trackpad. Attaching a mouse works, however.
In order to regain trackpad functionality, she says she must Shut Down.

Her dad suggested upgrading  to 10.3.9. So she did using Software
Update(and after using Disk Utility to repair permissions), then ran
Onyx afterward, but the behavior continues. About all I can suggest is
to try installing combo 10.3.9. (Would that be worth a try? If so, do
you just download it and ask it to install, or do you need to do
something else first to coax the installer to run in the first place?)

She does have a brand new copy of Tiger which she's been holding off
installing, waiting for the dust to settle, since she's not very
tech-savvy.

Does anyone have advice I can pass on to her?

Thanks,

Mary