[iBook] Re: external monitor on iBook

Dave Wyman davewyman at imountainman.com
Mon Jun 20 14:52:31 PDT 2005

After some good advice here a few months back, I finally purchased an
external monitor through tigerdirect.com. Great price and the monitor
looks terrific. Absolutely plug and play.

If you're friend wants an external monitor and it's not an Apple, don't
expect the Mac genius to have much information, intelligible or
otherwise, to impart to your friend - Apple wants your friend to
purchase one of their beautiful, but expensive monitors, not a monitor
from another manufacturer.

If your friend just wants an inexpensive monitor, check out tiger or
newegg.com, etc. There are lot of choices, and prices are down on  17"
and 19" monitors - I see tiger.com is offering a monitor for $20 less
than I paid two weeks ago. Yes, there are a bewildering array of
choices, I went for the DCL 19" monitor, it had specs as good as any of
the other lower-priced models, lots of positive reviews. Most
lower-priced models are around $250 (w/rebate), and they go up in price
from there, particularly with the better known brands.

Two possible problems with the iBook and an external monitor:

1) Screen resolution will be limited to what your friend has on her
monitor, and external monitors usually have higher (i.e. getter
looking) resolution - the image won't be quite as sharp as it is on
your iBook. But it won't be a poor image.

2) As mentioned before, the iBook only works in mirror mode - that is,
what you see on the screen of the iBook will appear on the external
monitor. It won't be possible to put windows from one or more programs
up at the same time, in each of the monitors - for example, your e-mail
visible on one monitor, while an Appleworks datebase is visible in the
other monitor.

However, these are minor drawbacks. Your friend should purchase the
external monitor, plug in with the VGA adapter, and have fun.

A little piece of software, Screen Spanning Doctor, will unlock the
higher resolution the external monitor is capable of providing, and it
will also allow for dual monitor mode. Using dual monitor mode is bit
complicated to set up and understand the first time or two, and I
understand using the software that allows this in theory can void the
warranty - on the other hand, the software can be removed. I installed
the software for my monitor, it was easy and I have the functionality
of a PowerBook with my iBook.

Dave

--
http://www.davewyman.com
http://www.idrivebackroads.com (Guidebook to Northern California)

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are
to be considered flaws or defects.