[iBook] what do you do at night?

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Sat Jun 25 22:20:13 PDT 2005

At 9:04 PM -0500 6/25/05, Michelle wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I heard this sort of "debated" on a computer radio show, but it was
>more about desktops (and mostly, IBMs) - and I wondered which option
>is really "best" for my iBook G4.
>
>Do you "shut down" your iBook at night? Or let it naturally go to
>"sleep"? Do you leave it plugged in (to charge up or ?) Or do you
>leave it totally unattached to anything (i.e. power source, modem,
>etc)

The last time I shut it down was just before I took it in for service
as it wasn't running / charging off the power supply.  I only restart
it for updates and I think that the previous time I shut it down was
to install RAM when I first got it.

When I'm not using it, I sleep it.  It wakes up so fast so it's easy
to sleep it, wake it up, use it then sleep it again.  Normally I
leave it plugged in to keep the charge up but sometimes I leave it
unplugged.  While I avoid doing things that will hurt the battery I
prefer to use it at my convenience and not worry too much about the
battery.

 From what I've heard it's better to leave it plugged in most of the
time.  The small amount of discharge that occurs while it sleeps
won't exercise the battery much but when I go to use it on battery I
want to start with a full charge.

>Any advice on what is "best" for the life of the iBook would be
>appreciate. I do not have any automated functions or programs that
>need to (or should) run at night... just FYI.

It won't matter if you sleep or shutdown, the automated functions
won't run when it's sleeping (or shutdown).
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA