[iBook] Success replacing DVD/CDRW in dual USB iBook

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Sun Jun 26 00:52:07 PDT 2005

At 11:49 PM -0700 6/25/05, David Linker wrote:
>Dear listers,
>
>I just replaced the Toshiba DVD/CDRW in my 600 MHz dual USB iBook.
>
>The original drive stopped working two weeks ago, in my iBook which
>I have had since October 2001. I called Apple and it was going to
>cost ~$300 to fix. I found that I could buy a replacement drive for
>$112. It would be an exact replacement, so that I could use the same
>door bezel.
>
>I had read some accounts of doing this on the web, but most said
>that this was hard and recommended against it. I decided to try
>anyway, using the accounts that I found on the web.
>
>I had a handicap. I had my two kids (4 and 8) watching, and
>sometimes bumping the table and containers I had the screws in.

Two words:  Duct tape

>  In spite of that, I finished in 3 hours, and only had four screws
>left over, and it works!

That makes me feel good, I only had one screw left over after a HD
change on an iBook.

>If I were to do it again, I would use a related description for the
>hard drive of a 500 MHz iBook, which had templates to mark the
>location of the screws for later placement. There are lots of
>screws, with different sizes even for the same "function".
>
>It was nerve-wracking at times, but I am happy with the results.

I had printed a PDF with pictures showing how to replace the HD.  If
(when) I do it again I'll tape each screw to it's location on the
picture.  I kept all the screws (59 IIRC) in order but
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA