[iBook] what do you do at night?

Joy Freeman joyslists at pagesbyjoy.com
Tue Jun 28 12:54:14 PDT 2005

Robert Newman (rlnewmanitools at mac.com)wrote:

> Maybe I am just paranoid, but I always turn off my computers.  I have
> many, PC's, Macs old DOS machines.  Whenever I use them I always turn
> them off before I go off to bed.  I have not (to date) had one fail
> prematurely.  It's a toss up!

No offense to Robert, but this kind of reasoning reminds me of an episode
of The Simpsons (Season 7, "Much Apu about Nothing"):

    Homer: Not a bear in sight. The "Bear Patrol"
            must be working like a charm!
    Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, dear.
    Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this
            rock keeps tigers away.
    Homer: Oh, how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It's just a stupid rock. But I don't
            see any tigers around, do you?
    Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

Anyway, I usually leave my computers on, and while I don't know what Robert
means by "fail prematurely," I have had very few problems over the years.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Joy

Joy Freeman
~ from manuscript to bound book ~
Editorial, Design, and Production Services
joy at pagesbyjoy.com