[iBook] ibook corner cracks and logic board failures

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Thu Mar 3 16:23:24 PST 2005

G'day,

I've got an ibook, G4 800, and have had no problems. I do get the
feeling that apple improved the design/construction (in later models)
so that the logic board (etc) is not such a prob. I took mine around
Europe on a cycling trip last year, and I use it every day, and carry
it to work on my bike, ~20km/day, in panniers (i.e. bags on the back of
my bike). So far, it's worked flawlessly.

I've gotta say, the ibook must be the most awesome computer I've ever
seen. What with its wicked sleep function, hardiness and reliability -
I consider it a bargain.

I think they're very shock resistant, and that a some of the reported
problems are due to the way that people hold them. I often see people
carrying laptops with the screen open, and they hold them only at the
very front of hte computer - i.e. either side of the trackpad. This
introduces a lot of stress into the laptop, and it wouldn't surprise me
if that's the cause of many problems...  (design flaws aside)

My recommendation is to close the screen when moving it, and carry it
under your arm like a book. ;-) If you must move it with the screen
open, put your hands right underneath, so that it is balanced on your
hands. This will introduce much less stress.

HTH,
-Angus

ps. I'm not suggesting that everyone/anyone who's had problems has
mistreated their ibook, but that there are patterns of usage that could
perhaps exacerbate a design flaw.