[iBook] Defective Mouse ?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Mar 17 05:31:37 PST 2005

On 3/16/05 8:15 PM, "William Carr" <jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net> wrote:

> A while back I posted about mysterious mouse freezes.    The 600 Mhz
> iBook would lose track of the mouse unless I unplugged it temporarily.
>
> I tried updating the mouse driver but it didn't help.
>
> What I may have failed to mention is the Kernel Panics that began
> happening.   On restart, if the Firewire cable was plugged in.   At
> random times while web browsing.
>
>   I found this odd and disturbing.   I worried that the HD I replaced
> last year was defective and ran Carbon Copy Cloner prepatory to a full
> erase and reformat.
>
> Until yesterday I didn't associate the Panics with the mouse problems.
>
> I got several Panics in the same day while ordering something online.
>   And finally suspicious, I disconnected and pitched the Logitech mouse
> I've had for two years and replaced it with the  one year old Logitech
> mouse from my PowerMac.
>
> It's been 28 hours, no mouse trouble.   No Kernel Panics.   Hmmm.
>
> Could a defective USB cable be causing Kernel Panics?

Cable or mouse, yes. I've not actually seen a mouse or bad cable cause
problems but when the "tech genius" at work decided to buy a boatload of
no-name USB hubs instead of the Belkin hubs I ordered we began to see all
kinds of crashes, freezes, and failures to wake up on both PC and Mac boxes.
Took me about 3 weeks to associate it with the hubs. So I have no doubt that
a problem USB device can cause system problems.

david