[iBook] slow start-up problem

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Mon Mar 21 08:13:18 PST 2005

On 20/3/05 5:33 pm, "Rudi Reitberg" <smalley at sexmagnet.com> wrote (in part):

> When I start up my iBook it goes to the login screen and I enter my
> login.  My desktop pic pops-up and then it takes about five to ten
> minutes of the spinning wheel before everything comes up. any
> suggestions on how to speed this up?

John Gruber aka "Daring Fireball' talks about delays on his blog and
suggests that some system font caches can grow very large and seems to be
the problem with his delayed logins. Check it out here;

<http://daringfireball.net/2005/03/font_caches>

You can delete these using Terminal or by using the excellent freeware tool
OnyX under the tab 'cleaning'.

Richard