[iBook] OSX or not on clamshell G3 366

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Tue Mar 29 11:01:11 PST 2005

The old saying of "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" seems to get
left behind in computers.  If your computer does what you need it to do
and you are not wishing it would do more, than I would not upgrade it.
Putting OS X on would mean either you have to get newer versions of
Word and Photoshop (not free) or run them in classic (so why not stay
OS9).  Your laptop "should" not run slower as OSX is good about
speeding up systems but true with all computers, the more memory the
better.  Are you sure you have 10.0?  Apple is charging for the 10.x
releases (10.2 being Jaguar, 10.3 being Panther, and 10.4 as Tiger) and
the lower numbers have their own set of problems.  Updates are still
available for these.

Is it worth it?  Yes, the OS X experience is better than OS 9, it adds
some neat functions and features and takes advantage of newer hardware.

2 cents worth...