[iBook] Sharing a DVD drive

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 31 01:08:29 PST 2005

On 3/31/05 10:41 AM, "Jean-Paul Thuot" <fearsome.orange at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently bought iLife '05. I'd like to install it on my iBook, but
> it doesn't have a DVD drive.  Is there some way I can use my wife's
> iBook combo drive to install the software onto my iBook?
>
> I have a firewire cable, as well as an external HD, but Finder doesn't
> show what's on the DVD (beyond the installer alias), so I can't just
> copy the files over...

Connect your iBook to your wife's iBook with the FW cable. Start yours up
while holding down the T key; this is Target Mode. On your wife's iBook, run
the installer, selecting your iBook's hard disk as the installation volume.

Kirk

          Author of: The Mac OS X Command Line: Unix Under the Hood
       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France