[iBook] external itunes music library

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Wed May 25 21:42:03 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I have a technical question.

I have more music than I want to keep on my laptop, so I have a
second iTunes music library located on a partition of an external
hard disk. This means that I can switch which music library iTunes is
using, to access the larger library when the external disk is connected.

But this is a bit of a hassle...

I've noticed what happens when I burn a data DVD from iTunes. The
disk has folders corresponding to album names, and in the root of the
disk is a file, ContentsDB.xml that is visible only in Terminal.app
(it's hidden in Finder).

When such a disk is inserted, itunes automatically recognizes it as a
music library, and mounts it - much like an iPod.

I postulate that if I did such a thing with my external music
collection, it would automount in iTunes whenever it was connected,
and I wouldn't need to switch libraries all the time.

Does anyone know anything about such a thing? Has it been done
before? Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-Angus