[iBook] My Dilemma

David Harris dmichaelharris at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 5 07:17:25 PDT 2005

Hi:

I apologize for the length of this E-mail.

I was on the fence for a while with my 700 Mhz G3 iBook.  It had a
broken R-11 unit (where the telephone jack locks in), which I let
happen through negligence (I left it on the bed plugged into the
telephone jack and my other half walked by and pulled it out.  The
R-11 jack still worked but I had to be careful the telephone cable
didn't slip out.  I had Airport card in it, so I did not need to fix it.

This situation gnawed at me.  I wasn't  even sure that repair on the
R-11 jack was possible.  I heard it was part of the logic board and
would require a complete replacement.  Finally, fate helped me
decide.  I sold my Dell laptop with USB CD-R/DVD-ROM for financial
reasons.  I called a local Apple consultant and after one day's
research, he indicated that the R-11 jack was indeed separate from
the logic board and would run an estimate for repairs.  But why stop
there, I thought.   The iBook had a CD-ROM drive.  The hassle I would
have to install Tiger made me decide to get a combo drive.  Along
with a complete servicing and changing of worn screws and completely
replaced plastic feet (I purchased this iBook used through a company
I cannot find, BuyMicro.com), the final bill was $530.35.  I have a
90-day warranty for parts and labor.

Whew!!!!  More expensive then a Mac Mini, I know, but it is kind of
strange.   I'm glad I repaired the 700 Mhz G3 iBook.  It lets me be
able to put Tiger on her and sell my 900 Mhz G3 iBook with a combo
drive that I hardly use, as it is slightly heavier.

dmjh