[iBook] external drive: USB vs. firewire

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Wed Sep 21 13:42:42 PDT 2005

On Sep 21, 2005, at 11:48 AM, R Hefner wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am looking into getting another external drive for my iBook---
> can't really afford to upgrade the internal drive and I don't think
> I could manage a DIY on it.
>

> Besides speed are there other advantages to a firewire drive?
I have a firewire external drive that's bus-powered. That is, there
is no external power cable, as all the power it needs comes through
the firewire. I don't know if this feature is available in USB 2.0,
but it sure saves on having to schlepp another power brick around.
It's 4500 RPM and kind of small (40GB), but fairly small and compact--
another feature I like a lot for traveling. My 2¢.

Charles Pearce <charlesp at ksu.edu>