[iBook] external drive: USB vs. firewire

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Wed Sep 21 20:27:51 PDT 2005

Yes, the USB 2 has good speeds but even last years iBooks do not have
USB 2. And if she were to get a new USB 2 burner it would not fast on
an older iBook; it would be painfully slow.

There is a client's USB 2 CD burner sitting on my floor right now; he
hasn't bothered to pick it up after I installed a modest 16x burner
in his iBook. The second hand internal burner is way faster than
trying to use a USB external on his iBook's USB 1.1 port.

The external Firewire burner will work very well with Ronda's laptop.
She didn't say hers was without USB 2 or even the year of it; I was
only guessing it was not this years model. And warning that the iBook
must be USB 2 for the USB 2 speeds to work.

roger