[iBook] Seagate HD in 1.2GHz G4 12" iBook?

Richard J Laue rjlauelists at hawaiiantel.net
Mon Apr 17 10:22:57 PDT 2006

Tom is right, in his comments down below.

I've got a 100gb, 5400rpm Seagate in my 1.33 G4 12" iBook.  The way I
figured it was, if I was going to pay the expense of having someone
open up the iBook -- which is expensive and complicated! -- then I
would bite the bullet, pay a little more, and get the biggest,
fastest hard drive that I could afford.  After all, I only want to do
this once!

The 120gig drives are still too expensive (BIG price jump up from the
100gb).  But the price jump from the 60gb to 80gb is pretty small,
and so is the jump up to 100gb.

And the 5400rpm drive really does give a performance boost over the
4200rpm one.

So, if you're GOING to replace the drive, don't mickey-mouse around
-- do it with gusto!  You will NOT regret it!  You'll benefit from
the extra speed -- and the extra storage! -- every day you own your
iBook.

You can get a Seagate Momentus 5400.2 ST9100824A 100GB Ultra ATA/100
5400RPM 2.5in Mobile Hard Drive from ZipZoomFly.com for $141, which
includes shipping.  Other vendors have comparable prices.

BTW:  I'm running an identical Seagate drive as a backup drive in an
external case.  The drives have never given me a bit of trouble, and
yes, they've got a 5-year warranty.

Cheers and aloha -
RJLaue