[iBook] Re: OFF TOPIC: web site question

Brian Pearce brpearce at optonline.net
Sun Aug 6 15:37:51 PDT 2006

> Google does not search all sites on the web.... only those sites
> that have
> paid extra with their hosting package to be searchable by Google.

It's not quite like that -- Google's listings are not compiled
depending on who pays for the priveledge and who doesn't. There's
information here <http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/
answer.py?answer=34397>, but these are the relevant passages:

"Inclusion in Google's search results is free and easy; you don't
even need to submit your site to Google. Google is a fully automated
search engine that uses software known as "spiders" to crawl the web
on a regular basis and find sites to add to our index. In fact, the
vast majority of sites listed in our results aren't manually
submitted for inclusion, but found and added automatically when our
spiders crawl the web."

"Although Google crawls billions of pages, it's inevitable that some
sites will be missed. When our spiders miss a site, it's frequently
for one of the following reasons:
The site isn't well connected through multiple links to other sites
on the web.
The site launched after Google's most recent crawl was completed.
The design of the site makes it difficult for Google to effectively
crawl its content.
The site was temporarily unavailable when we tried to crawl it or we
received an error when we tried to crawl it. You can use Google
Sitemaps to see if we received errors when trying to crawl your site."

BRIAN PEARCE
Red Jacket Press, LLC
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>