[iBook] Installed security update now iBook will not boot

Russ Gorman rusty57 at mac.com
Fri Aug 11 08:31:25 PDT 2006

Put the original install CD that you got with the computer in and
restart while holding down the "C" key.
If the installer screen comes up don't install- run the Disk Utility
from the pulldown menu.

At 8:44 PM -0700 8/10/06, Robert Crawford wrote:

>  I installed today's security update. now my G3 600mhz 14" iBook,
> running
> 10.3.9, will not boot.
> I have had several symptoms throughout the day. A couple of times
> it sat
> there for about an hour with a blank screen. It came up several
> times with
> the message to type "mac-boot" ( I may be remembering the syntax
> wrong) I
> tried that, I also tried typing "shut-down" at that point.
>
> Later it came up to my background screen bout would do nothing and
> go no
> further. Now it is sitting there with a OS 9 folder icon in the
> middle of
> the screen and sometimes the icon alternates between a face and a
> question
> mark in the middle of the icon.

You might start by powering off and then resetting PRAM by holding
down the Apple/Option/P and R keys while starting up. Wait until you
hear 3 start-up chimes and then release the keys.

If that doesn't take you you back to a normal state, let us know.