[iBook] Will I be able to take O.S. 9 off my 366MHz. Clamshell?

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Tue Feb 7 08:18:09 PST 2006

>> Within the last couple of months I bought myself a Clamshell
>> iBook, ...
>
>> I do need some assistance though. It's got 7.6 GB's  left on it.
>> If I were to take O.S. 9 off would it free up those GB's ?, & too
>> is it advisable to remove this O.S. ?
>
> 	You will not gain much space at all removing OS 9. Leave it there.
> 	The best thing to do is make sure you have the maximum amount of
> RAM. If you do, then Panther should run fine. Before I sold my
> clamshell I had it running 10.2 (Jaguar) really well.

I don't know about "not gaining much space." I just checked, and I
could recover about 1GB of hard drive space if I could scrape Classic
out of my G3/900 'Book (by removing the System Folder and Applications
(Mac OS 9) folders). But of course, I can't do that since I have a
crucial Classic app (*cough* FrameMaker *cough* cursed Adobe anyway).

There are still a few apps out there that need Classic. I have about
the same amount of disk space as you do, and that's plenty except for
editing video. Give it another year; if you don't find a reason to
run Classic by then, you could probably remove it.

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."