[iBook] Firewire External Hard Drive Power

Jean-Paul Thuot fearsome.orange at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 02:18:19 PST 2006

On 1/5/06, Craig Foch <cbfoch at charter.net> wrote:
> When I shop eBay, I see firewire external drive enclosures with and without
> power bricks. Can I power an external firewire hard drive from my iBook's
> firewire bus, or do I need an external power supply for the hard drive? My
> iBook is the 14" G3 600 MHz model.
>
> Craig Foch

I have a dual firewire/USB harddrive enclosure.  I used to have the
12" version of your iBook, now I have a newer PB.  My wife has a
newish iBook.  In all cases this enclosure requires either a powered
USB hub for the USB-to-power cable, or an AC adapter.  The power from
the USB ports on the Macs I have are simply insufficient to make it
go, and the firewire is only for data, not power.

Jean-Paul