[iBook] Infamous iBook logic board failure strikes again! :-(

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Mon Jul 10 17:20:27 PDT 2006

I have a 900mhz G3 iBook that started with the flickering screen,
freezing video and now starts up with a blank screen (I can still
hear the hard drive going through the startup process). It looks like
I am past the repair extension for this particular problem (according
to Apple http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/), and would ya know
it, my extended AppleCare warranty expired a few months ago (April
30). Fortunately, I suppose, is that I'll have my hands on a new
MacBook this Saturday to replace it (my local independent Apple
Dealer expects mine to arrive there Wednesday or Thursday). At least
I can boot into FireWire disk mode and make a more recent backup that
I can migrate to the new machine. I plan on taking the iBook with me
to the Dealer, just to make sure that I am past the out of warranty
repair extension for this specific issue. If this iBook really is
done, I think the memory is just fine (a 512MB NewerRam chip), the
hard drive is working fine (making my backup as I type this email on
my G5 at work), and the Combo Drive works too. I have a coworker that
has an older 600mhz iBook G3, dual USB, that runs fine. Do you
suppose the Combo Drive and 512MB chip in my 900mhz G3 will work OK
in his? Being in a poor, midwest publishing company, we like to
squeeze every dollar worth of usefulness out of our equipment that we
can!

Joe