[iBook] Clamshell Browser???

Mary H. maryh at brucetelecom.com
Fri Jun 2 11:17:38 PDT 2006

At 12:37 PM -0500 6/2/06, Pat wrote:

>I bought a clamshell for a friend and set it up for her.  She's a
>total computer illiterate and intends to leave it alone completely.
>I have her running OS 9.1 with Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
>and would like to change the browser to a more current one without
>making it any harder than I have to for her to get comfortable on
>it.  She's had perfect service on the machine and I see no reason to
>update her any other way.  What can I download for her to run on
>that system?

Maybe have a look at a site for general info on Mac browsers:
http://darrel.knutson.com/mac/www/browsers.html

where it says:

"In no particular order, here are some browsers that work on Mac OS
9: Opera, iCab, MS Internet Explorer, WannaBe (text only), MacLynx
(text only) Mozilla, WaMCom Mozilla, Wazilla, Netscape 6/7 (not
version 4!). Don't expect everything to work with specific web pages
or web sites.
... your best bet for a modern browser on older systems is iCab 3.0
which is now the browser I recommend on older systems."

Note that the Mozilla group now also recommends iCab for OS 9 users:
http://www.mozilla.org/download.html#os9