[iBook] After the drive is in.

Mark Kippert maclists at kippert.com
Sat Mar 4 19:46:45 PST 2006

vwmai on 3/2/06 7:11 AM wrote:

> Topic 1 - Formatting Drive
> I bought the drive from OWC (www.macsales.com) but I don't know if it
> will arrive apple formated or not. My goal is to have all the apps from
> my G4 on the iBook. To that end it seems to the best way to do that is
> dump the contents (restore disk image) on the HD into the iBook. I have
> the startup (user files, os 10.3.9, apps) on the G4 backed up using CCC
> on an external USB 2.0 drive. The iBook is USB 1.2 so that's a no go.
> Both machines do have Firewire so can I hook them up and start the
> iBook in target disk mode and simply restore the disk image on the USB
> drive to the iBook through FireWire? That seems possible but does there
> have to he some sort of OS on the HD of the iBook?
>
> Classic
> Back in the OS 10.0 and 10.1 days it seems like you had to have 9.2 on
> the drive before you could install 10.x. If you didn't you were
> screwed. However, I do recall that when swapped HDs in the old G3/233
> rev B iMac I forgot about that. The machine had 10.2 on it and I just
> went in and loaded 9.2 and classic worked fine. Can I do that in the
> case. On the G4 i have a 5gig partition with 9.2 on it. I dont really
> want to repeat that with the iBook.

Chris, to be honest, your question is a bit complicated (confusing), but I
think I get the gist.

First, the new hard drive will not be formatted (Mac or PC). After you
install it you have two choices. 1) Start up from an install CD (9 or X) and
format the drive (erase/partition) via the Disk Utility. 2) Start up in
Target Disk Mode, connect the iBook to your G4 and format it with the Disk
Utility. All done.

As for installing the drive (a very difficult process I've done many times
at my shop) I would recommend going to www.pbfixit.com and check out their
series of online repair procedures. They're very thorough. Someone else's
suggestion to print the pages and tape the screws is a good idea.

Now, if I understand you correctly, you want to clone your G4 hard drive to
retain the same OS and applications. I would suggest putting your iBook into
Target Disk Mode, connecting it to your G4, and clone the OSX volume. An
excellent utility to do this (better than CCC) is called SuperDuper. Just
run it from the G4.

Now for Classic. At this point you can boot from an OS9.2 CD and install
classic. I've found that I have to select "Clean Install" so the installer
will proceed. This WILL NOT remove you OSX System. One other option which
may be easier is to simply drag-and-drop the OS9 System Folder from your G4
to the iBook. If it acts funky (shouldn't) then go into System Preferences;
Classic; Advanced, and choose to rebuild the OS9 Desktop.

Hope this helps.
-Mark