[iBook] Garageband on iBook 1.2 GHz

Howard Pettigrew howard.pettigrew at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 9 21:53:21 PST 2006

Mark, how much computing experience has he had? What has he done in
this line before? Will he be learning to use Garageband (which is one
of the simplest programmes to give children) or will he be pushing
the boundaries as he is already an experienced Mac user / music
programme user? Will he be recording his own music loops or just
using the in-built loops?
I taught and demoed Garageband around schools on a 993 G4 with only
512 megs so for a starter machine, what you have is fine. You've got
plenty of RAM there which will be a great help. It will go better if
kept on power and with the power settings set to Best Performance.
There are some tips in the Garageband help as to how to get the best
of a computer using Garageband. When you start to use lots of tracks,
it will start to moan. If you have no other programmes running, this
is a huge help too as Garageband is memory intensive.
The reason I ask the questions is, if he has not done much of this
before, then this will be a great machine to start on and see how he
goes. If he proves to be a whiz composer, then it will be worth
exploring getting a gruntier desktop machine but this will start him
off just fine.
Just my pennies worth from someone who spends a lot of time in
schools teaching Garageband.
Cheers
H in NZ