[iBook] USB powered external drives

Steve R mailing.lists.2005 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 14:43:05 PDT 2006

Quick question about USB powered external drives. I'm seeing some
external cases being sold without an AC power option. Instead, there
seems to be what looks like a Y-cable that's USB at all three
connections. Reading reviews of the products, some folks are
mentioning they didn't need to use the Y-cable as a regular USB cable
worked fine.

On the iBook 500 Dual USB, does anyone have any experience with these
USB powered external drives, and if so, are you having to use the
Y-cable which I'm assuming would be pulling power from both USB
jacks. (And isn't the 500 Dual USB one of the iBooks that has already
split the power between the two jacks?)

Also, can the iBook 500 Dual USB boot from an external USB 1.1 drive
or would the drive need to be a Firewire drive?

Thanks
Steve R
--
  Get the Canadian troops out of Afghanistan now.