[iBook] dual USB iBook wireless upgrade

Kathi Anderson kathialexis at cox.net
Wed Aug 8 22:28:02 PDT 2007

I pretty sure I've read that all 802.11n routers slow approx. 20-25% mixed
mode.  You get right at (or slightly over) 100 Mb/s in 802.11n mode when
using the 5 GHz band and 75-85 Mb/s in mixed 802.11/b/g/n mode.

If I recall correctly the speed drop is caused by mixed mode requiring use
of the old 2.4 GHz band.  At 5 GHz the N routers are able to transform 2
channels into a single big data pipe, but if implemented at the 2.4 GHz band
"channel bonding," as its called, interferes with bluetooth, which operates
in the same band.

Still 80Mb/s is pretty decent speed.
snip

I installed the Airport Card in my 500mhz dual USB iBook and it connected
with my new NetGear RangeMax N router on the first try. And I have 100mg
speed!

And this is with a cable going out of the router to a switch and hard wire
connecting to 3 Macs, a Dell and a network printer.

As a matter of fact, the real reason I bought the NegGear N router was for
my Toshiba laptop and I am still trying after 3 tries to get it connected.

I will get it eventually. It takes time and patience in unhooking and
rehooking all the connections in a specific order. I have to work for a
living in the meantime.

Kathi