[iBook] Double layer superdrive

Richard J Laue rjlauelists at hawaiiantel.net
Fri Dec 7 17:03:32 PST 2007

>This is what I have. So how does that spell out?
>
>MATSHITA DVD-R   UJ-85J:
>

>   CD-Write:	-R, -RW
>   DVD-Write:	-R, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
>   Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
>   Media:	Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

This drive will burn +R DL (Dual Layer) DVDs.
It will NOT burn -R DL media, so be sure to check the label carefully
when you buy your DVDs.

For SINGLE-layer DVDs, this drive will handle either +R or -R.

For burning CDs, you need -R media, NOT +R.

You should write down the specs above, and take it with you when you
go shopping for media.

Newer Macs are able to handle any and all of the above, but you've
got one of the older models that won't.  You will probably discover
that your drive won't PLAY +R CDs, or -R DVDs, that have been burned
on other people's machines.  The Matshita drive is very fussy in that
regard.

Cheers -
RJLaue