[iBook] G4 iBook logic board

Howard Pettigrew howard.pettigrew at xtra.co.nz
Sun Feb 25 10:20:08 PST 2007

Doug, the problems with the white iBooks is related to design faults
- this is from a good friend who is an Apple Distinguished Educator
and who was lucky enough to spend some time at Cupertino with other
Apple Distinguished Educators from around the planet at a retreat /
conference. The problem was acknowledged by a senior Apple person and
people lost their job over this. It has nothing to do with dirty
electrical service. Interestingly, original designs (and possibly
some prototypes - can't remember, had a handle like the clamshell!
In my experience in schools in NZ, a lot of it comes down to handling
- laptops carried around with screens open etc are more susceptible.
Some schools have had terrible runs while others have had little
troubles. Of the very first 3 we got at the College of Education I
was working at at the time, 2 had to go back almost straight away -
there seems to have been batches of 'bad ones'. The sad thing is that
one replacement logicboard did not fix the problem - I went through 3
before they replaced my G4 with a MacBook. I would be the first to
admit  though that I was pretty hard on my laptop - it went with the
territory I was working in.
Hope this is of interest
H in NZ