[iBook] changing password for removal of another's short name

Kathryn Antoinette Seth 8patches at frontiernet.net
Tue Jan 9 23:22:35 PST 2007

''I can't get no satisfaction'' <quote>, but true
I need to change the short name on my Clamshell, but I only have copies
of 2 disks that came with it of 10.3.4, I guess I would need to reset
this in password utility when I put the install disk into the
computer-Right?, it's been so long since I installed Panther ( on my
present desktop machine ) that I hesitate to perform this simple task
on this iBook. I have one name that I use on my desktop, should I keep
this name or change it to another name, that I sometimes use, since the
iBook has an airport card installed I got my present ISP- using a
wireless DSL network to communicate between the 2 computers, which are
at the present time in the same room.
Is there any key that I press on the keyboard while I initiate this
installation.
The older iBook has several neat applications that I don't want to get
rid of just yet., being that this has just a tray-load CD what-ever
drive, I'm not sure whether I can burn to it or not. I purchased awhile
back a Sony CD-RW drive just in case I would not be able to burn, so
I'm actually covered there. I might add that this iBook has a 366 MHz.
processor Power PC G3 and I have 320 MB of memory in it now. Option 1:
in order to get back the 11.12 GB., could I just install MAC OS-X
10.3.4 and leave O.S. 9.2.2 out altogether, because as it reads now
I've got 7.21 GB., and I'd really like to have more. Also under where
it says ATA in the system profiler ( I suppose that's in 9 ) it reads
that it's Write-able- what does that mean ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Toni Seth