[iBook] changing password for removal of another's short name

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Wed Jan 10 10:40:18 PST 2007

At 11:42 AM -0600 10/1/07, joe wrote:
>On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:22 AM, Kathryn Antoinette Seth wrote:
>
>>''I can't get no satisfaction'' <quote>, but true
>>
>>I need to change the short name on my Clamshell, but I only have copies of 2 disks that came with it of 10.3.4, I guess I would need to reset this in password utility when I put the install disk into the computer-Right?,
>>

>I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to change the short name without a full re-install.  (If you find out otherwise, please post--'cause I've got the same situation.)

Joe and Toni, I just installed OS 10.3 Panther (then upgraded to 10.3.9) on an old clamshell (iBook 300, 3gb HD) on top of OS 9.0.4. It was a custom install, not a full install and it was not necessary for me to wipe the hard drive. Somewhere during the installation process, I needed to create a new computer ( = admin) name and password. In other words, it was doable for me, but beyond that, I can't be specific since I was more concerned about having enough HD space to do the install. I think it was during the setup procedure following the Panther install.

Good luck! And please let us know how it works out for you.

Fred

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html