[iBook] The iPhone: Touchscreen interface, runs Mac OS X, ships in June (Keynote notes)

Tom Legare tom.legare at comcast.net
Wed Jan 10 19:06:41 PST 2007

Now please understand.... I've been an Apple fan since the early days and
have probably been responsible for more Apple II and Mac sales than some
small stores.

However, the iPhone is hardly revolutionary. It's a nice attractive device..
but little is really new except streamlining the syncing with iTunes.

I am currently using a Cingular 8525, which has the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS.
Now the OS is clunky and not intuitive all the time, but it is touchscreen,
GPRS/EDGE/UMTS data compatible, quad-band, and it is pulling my email real
time 24 hours a day.  The built in camera is 2 megapixel and the bluetooth
is also version 2.0.

And the email it pulls is from 3 POP3/SMTP accounts, 2 IMAP4 accounts, and
it runs GoodLink and keeps my PDA in sync with my Outlook Email, Calendar
and Contacts with my work email. It has been an enormous benefit to me in
being productive both professionally and personally.

It runs Internet Explorer to surf, has tons of freeware games, Pocket
Word/Excel/Powerpoint programs and compatibility, etc.

I'm not in love with it, but it is better than I've had in the past. The
iPhone is a great start and full of all the class Apple is famous for, but I
need the pocket Office applications and I need the GoodLink synchronization
with the office, Also, the iPhone has EDGE, not UMTS (3G data) speeds.

Kudos to Apple for an outstanding device, but the current crop of Blackberry
/ GoodLink users will not likely be swayed, and anybody with an iPod with
more than 8GB already has more storage.

Tom