[iBook] re.: install os x 10.4, optical drive gone on dual USB ibook 500 MB

Mary H. maryh at brucetelecom.com
Wed Jul 18 20:34:39 PDT 2007

At 10:54 PM -0400 7/18/07, Shawn Harley wrote:

>Then it may be too early of a version (pre-10.4.6) to boot the MacBook.
>

>On Jul 18, 2007, at 10:48 PM, Janice F. Jorgensen wrote:
>
>>only ever says 10.4

If it's just the one disc then it sounds like it's a (so-called)
retail or generic OS X 10.4 install disc.

I think the barrier we're seeing is due to the transition from PPC to
Intel hardware.

But I'm pretty sure the install can be done by trying a different method.

iBook is powered on.
MacBook is powered on.
Insert install disc into MacBook.
Choose "Restart" from the blue Apple menu on MacBook.

At the sound of the start-up chime, hold down T key on MacBook until
you see the FireWire symbol moving around.
Connect FireWire cable to both machines.

You should see the OS X install disc icon on the desktop of the
iBook. (You will also see the icon of the MacBook HD.)
I'm pretty sure the installer will now work for you - it will say
that it will begin the process by restarting your iBook. After
restart you should be able to choose your iBook HD as the destination
for the install.