[iBook] DVD fix for iBook G3 500Mhz

larry burns isaliveart at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 19:42:06 PDT 2008

I wanted to share a fix: I replaced my optical drive on my dual USB with a Pioneer DVD read/write which would not play commercial DVD's for anything. Installed VLC Player-did not work-no Pioneer support.  Found a post:  Download "Pacifist" which can extract packages from OS X install CDs. Extract and install "DVD Player" application-which never made it onto system because original system only had CD drive-even after re-install with new drive!!!  System now plays commercial DVDs like a charm!! All this wasted time having to use actual TV every time I wanted to see a DVD!!!

Thought this might help someone else.