[iBook] 10.3.9 or 10.4.11 on 466 MHz iBook?

Josh josh.w.richards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 08:13:58 PST 2009

Hey all. New to the list, but not new to Macs. I've been a way for a
long time, and thought I'd get back in by getting an old iBook to tinker
with. I got a 466 SE with 320MB RAM and the standard 10GB HD. It
currently has  10.4.11 on it, and it seems a bit too sluggish. I don't
expect a speed demon, but am amazed at how long it takes to open Finder
windows or how unresponsive it is sometimes. I do have 10.3 install CDs,
and I'm tempted to downgrade to 10.3.9. What are your thoughts on this?
Is there anything in 10.4 that I'd be really missing? Will I gain a
little speed with 10.3?

Thanks, Josh