[iBook] Long Term iBook Storage, Vintage Mac PB 1400

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Thu Apr 1 00:02:30 PDT 2010

Jim, all, et al--

Thanks to Jim's suggestion, I dug my Powerbook 1400 out of my shed, powered it up with no problem, and it still appears to work just fine despite its age (about 15 years, about 1995) and its long term storage in my shed in the AZ desert with shade temps up to 120F (inside the shed likely gets up to 140F oven temps) has not appeared to affect its performance nor its LCD screen. Apple then, as now, puts out a superior machine.

Nostalgia time:  I bought the PB 1400 off eBay some five years ago since it had floppy capability (I had some old business floppies I needed to read). It arrived empty and I had to re-install OS 7.5.3. No problem since I'm a Mac vet going back to Apple IIC and IIG (mid-1980s), going through IIvx and 7300 until I upgraded to my now antiquated iBook 900 in 2003. The 1400 did the job for me, After I was done with it, I boxed the 1400 up and stored it in my shed until now when it was again needed, in this instance as an LCD screen test device under extreme environmental conditions. My PB 1400 came with a lot of Apple specifications of which I haven't seen for a long time: OS 7.5.3, RAM about 16mb, HD 1.3 gb (?), 603 processor of 133 mhz. I believe this was the first Mac laptop model which had CD ROM capable drive. It also has ClarisWorks 4 (predecessor of Appleworks and now I don't know what else since I still use Appleworks), Jade 1.2 (to view jpegs), and not much else as part of its system applications.

I didn't realize the simplicity of use and the stability of these older Macs until now after going through numerous Mac iterations and machines over the years until now with my new MacBook Pro. My now ancient iBook 900 which faithfully served me for 7 years will also go into storage right next to my PB 1400 if for no other reason than they still work and it appears they will continue to work indefinitely whenever I need them and want to turn them back on. For what more can I ask?

Fred Stevens