[iMac] Back UPS Pro????

Tom Warner tom at dfind.com
Tue Feb 1 09:54:15 PST 2005

On 21 Jan 2005, at 10:43 pm, Pat D.Stephens wrote:

> I have an old APC Back UPS Pro which appears dead, but I'm wondering
> if I should either try to get it fixed or buy a new one for the G5
> iMac.  We do have power losses at times, and having had laptops, I've
> not been worried about it in years.  I did discover the other day when
> I accidentally unplugged from the back that it started right back up
> with no obvious problems.  Is this now the case, or what do y'all do?

I've just been told that OS X has a controlled shut down built in. No
additional software or drivers required.

If you get a UPS with USB, and connect it to your Mac, you will find
some additional options in the 'battery' menu. When the UPS battery
gets low, the Mac will do a controlled shut down and restart (if you
wish) when things get back to normal.

This is second hand information, but when I get my new UPS, we'll find
out for sure.

BTW, I have an old APC Back UPS Pro and when it died, it was trivially
easy to replace the battery. Good as new.

HTH
Tom